Buy Gift Certificates!



John Egan’s Big World Pub & Grill: 2005 – 2009

Egan’s opened here after moving from their previous location further south on Route 100 between Waitsfield and Warren.


Gallagher’s Bar & Grill, Since the 1960’s

Clarence Gallagher, Sr. and his wife Hattie Boyce lived in a house that occupied the site of the Valero gas station. They also owned the house to the East where Frank and Ann Day lived in 1955 and a former Wheelwright shop behind it that Clarence operated as a cider mill. Clarence and his son Robert later had a woodworking shop in the building where they made furniture, clothes drying racks and wooden gift items.


Wheelwright Shop/Cider Mill, 1955 (Courtesy of Ann Day)

In the 1960’s, Buddy Sherman moved to Waitsfield from Chicago. He purchased the property, tore down the house to make a parking lot and opened Gallagher’s bar and restaurant in the former cider mill, bringing in the long bar that many remember from the windy city.

In 1967, Charlie Donald, who had been involved in some of New York City’s best known restaurants and bars purchased Gallagher’s. The following year, he opened Gallagher’s Downeast in Bar Harbor, ME, which he operated in the summers. Charlie and his wife Liz sold to Hal Flad who operated the restaurant in the early 70’s until David Steinman purchased it in 1975, specializing in steaks and Italian dishes.

Gallagher’s with Mother McCree restaurant, during the Peter and Melna Hall years, hosted some of the best live music in the area. It was one of only two bars where Phish would play (the other being Nectar’s in Burlington). Phish would play every other Wednesday in the summer and pack the place to the rafters.

in 1992, Christopher Pierson and Pete Stancer purchased the property. Stancer died and Steve Polcek purchased it and operated Gallagher’s from 1993 – 2000.

Sourced, largely, from History of the Town of Waitsfield, Vermont 1789 – 2000, by Richard M. Bisbee

Subscribe to Our Mailing List